How to part with a character you've grown attached to.

If you need help with something or want to share your thoughts and ideas, feel free to do so here!
Chibimaster1111
MC name: ScorchedDragon

How to part with a character you've grown attached to.

When Roleplaying with my character Dylan nowadays, I've found myself noticing that all I can really do is mischief, as past actions have Dylan without friends to keep him in check, or a 'group' to be part of, isolating him to a life of solitude and troublemaking. I've been told that rerolling should be an option I should think of, but I can't help but feel reluctant to let a character I've been playing for years, not to mention my first character, go so early. Dylan, while hated by a lot of people, runs the Catching Contests and Trainer's guild, and by letting him go I'd hate to see those vanish. I personally don't care if I don't have fun rping this character , or even feel their depression as of late, as long as I can provide fun events for the server such as the catching contests, I'm satisfied. I'm prepared to Rp out Dylan's life no matter how depressing or sad it ends up, until death even, but I'd like to ask what you all think of the situation?

I'm currently lost on what to do at this point. As I can't currently invest in an alt account for a second character, I'm forced with this decision. It pains me to think about just throwing away all that experience with Dylan, but with how things are currently, it has begun to affect me emotionally as the player.
Vernon
MC name: MirroredPanda
Discord: MirroredPanda#6969

Re: How to part with a character you've grown attached to.

Re-roll Dylan into a character who would take over those things is my advice. If you hate a character, but love what they do, re-roll them. I didn't wanna re-roll Maria, but she was affecting me OOCly in a way that just...made her not fun. I can keep doing Ranger stuff as a member via West and Allison, and the Toro Times can be run by her still if I want to. Just make a character who'd meld well with others, and have them do those things.
Foska
MC name: Foska

You could ask a GM or staff if you can make him a sole event character, then just use your account for a new character. I doubt they would oppose that and since you provide RP with the catching contests and stuff I doubt they would oppose it. Otherwise RIP.
alexnoyes18
MC name: noyess

Maybe you could start rping with someone who has a nice character who sees the best in people. That character could start hanging out with Dylan a lot, giving him a friend, and they could help Dylan with a character arch. Through this character, Dylan could become a good person and you could keep playing as him.
stowaway8888
MC name: stowaway8888/Dayre_

Hand control of the catching contests and stuff to a character who could be related or something. That way, you can continue doing what you like to do as Dylan (such as the contests), and have a fresh start with a new character.
ChaosMarine599
MC name: ChaosMarine599

To add onto a previously stated idea, you always have the ability to change Dylan's personality, behavior, or other things about him. Usually, someone might question the reasoning behind a sudden behavior change, but in this case, you can just as easily say "Dylan's behavior was affecting me in real life" and move on.

Now sure, that won't make everyone suddenly forgive your character. The process of forgiveness might end up being more of an active than a passive one - maybe Dylan realizes his faults and attempts to seek forgiveness with people he'd particularly wronged. Maybe he takes up a volunteer opportunity to help Toro in some way. That sort of thing is up to you, but there's plenty of ways it can be done. And if you do choose to change Dylan for the better, it won't be fast or easy. People won't trust that your character's really changed until they're ready to do that, and some people just won't. There have been plenty of examples of grudges that have been held even when a character "reforms," but that's not up to you, that's up to them.

If you are really attached to the backstory that Dylan has taken so far, then you don't have to get rid of it. Use bad memories as a base for being a better person. Understand what missteps Dylan took, and strive to do the opposite.

If you choose to do this, you can't revert. You have to go all-in on "Dylan is different now," and not falter when one person says "well I don't think he's really changed." You just have to power through, because the reward of having a character that creates and sustains healthy relationships is worth fighting for.
Chibimaster1111
MC name: ScorchedDragon

Well said, I think this is the route I will take. I'll just save up for an alt.

However, I'm glad I brought up this topic, as other people may have gone or will go through similar experiences. Rerolling anxiety I mean.

Return to “Support and Feedback”