Server Issues!

Kampfkater
MC name: Kampfkater

Re: Server Issues!

Doing what I can with my poor little chromebook here, guys, really hate to leave you hanging like that.
My best guess is that it is some RAM issue right now, but without crashlogs I can't really tell.
I did some optimizing here and there to hopefully smooth out the spikes we are getting, but I can't tell you if that is enough right now.
If that really is the issue I am afraid we'll have to upgrade, which will be somewhat expensive. Currently I can afford the server with some of the money I am getting for my education (Well that worked out well, duh), but if the only solution is actually upgrading I'll need some help with that. If you guys log in whenever the server is online and just do your thing that would be exceptionally helpful, because I need to confirm my suspicions, so I apologize in advance for having you run around pointlessly on the server.
This would be way easier if I had my actual computer, but I only come back home on monday, so bear with me on that one, please.
I hope you still have a nice week, despite our server issues, and I just wanted to voice my experience with this stuff here.
See you around!
Kampfkater

Okay okay, day 3 of the madness.
I've contacted our server hosts and had a thorough talk with the tech guys on their side (which kept me up at night, thanks timezones), and they basically think the same things, so we agreed on an upgraded plan. The server is turned back on for now, I hope the additional memory and processing power will stop the problems from occuring. I need y'all to come around and log in and do your stuff so I can be certain, but I am hopeful this time around.
Have a great day!
Kampfkater

Status report- It's a bit better now, still crashing though. It's either still a lack of memory or it is actually leaking memory somewhere, but I have no idea what would cause that (maybe a map rollback of like four or five days would rule that out...), but I am still in contact with the host so we can find it out maybe.
It'll be better soon, I promise!
Have a good time, y'all!
Kampfkater

I feel like a blogger with all this stuff I am writing here, but cut to the next progress report.
We are having a memory leak somewhere, I am pretty sure the leak is not map related, so it must be some plugin. I am currently disabling a couple plugins at a time to find the culprit. I need you guys to log in and just do the usual stuff to see if the issue persists. If you help me out that way I am sure we can have this all done before I have to go today.
Wish us luck~

EDIT: I managed to stabilize the ram usage with no players online after disabling a few plugins, I have no idea if this is actually the issue, but time will tell. I don't have much free time later today, so I am afraid that we have to hope for the best here.
Kampfkater

Aaaand another post here, to keep y'all updated. With the help of my incredibly handsome/beautiful assistants we managed to rule out all plugins as the cause of the leak, as well as the map. We also noticed that the ram usage increases as people move around, suggesting that chunks do not get unloaded properly. What causes that, I can't tell you yet.
Here's the bad news, to find that out, I need to get back home to look at some proper tracking tools, to see which mod or whatever keeps stuff from unloading. That means you will have to wait another day until we hopefully can get this to work again.
So look forward to tomorrow (That's monday) night, as I will probably be working furiously to get this to work again.
For now I need sleep, I hope you still enjoy your sunday in the most relaxing way possible.
karasu1996
MC name: karasu1996

I hope you dont mind me posting here, perhaps it's biblio/decocraft items? I recall the mod being finicky when a lot of it was used, causing crashes and the such. It may not be the case however and Im not entirely sure how we would go about ridding ourselves of it easily.
Kampfkater

Actually, to ease your concerns, it is apparently not our fault.
Earlier I ran a new map with vanilla Minecraft 1.8.3 and the error still occured, so now we play the waiting game and hope the host figures out the problem.
Kampfkater

Okay guys, results are looking good, for the last bit of testing I need as many people online as possible, I need sleep for now, worked on this all day.
I hope I can return with good news once I wake up, have a great night!
Kampfkater

Okay guys, I am happy to tell you that the server seems to be a lot more stable now, I dicked around with the bukkit and spigot configs and gave the overhead way more space to run, so hopefully that ends our woes. I will still closely monitor the server console, but this time around we stress tested the server and it worked fine.
Have a great time, and sorry for all this downtime.

Return to “News and Announcement Archives”