Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 8

Macecurb
MC name: Ecurbmac

An aimless rant about food

Okay, so. I've been complaining about this a bit on the server, on skype and in TS in the days since the update, and I figure it might be a little more productive and a little less annoying if I make a forum post about it and leave it be elsewhere.

I hate Spice of Life.

No, seriously. I genuinely and without hyperbole hate that mod. I find it annoying and feel that it adds nothing productive to RP, simply by virtue of its' implementation in contrast to its' predecessor, Hunger Overhaul.

(Also, disclaimer: I am well aware that Hunger Overhaul has not updated to 1.7.10 yet.)

For starters, where Hunger Overhaul created a need for food in general, something that, by all accounts, adds realism to RP, which I actually like, Spice of Life creates a need for a large variety of food, something that makes significantly less sense. The combination of the massive, sudden penalties for eating multiple pieces of a single type of food in a row, combined with the surprisingly long 'history' of food makes it necessary to have at least four or five types of food on hand if you want to keep playing without undergoing the annoying, but non-fatal effects of starvation. This, for most players (myself included) feels like an arbitrary penalty, forcing us to either regularly commit mechanical suicide or permanently suffer the effects of mechanical starvation.

Furthermore, regarding the realism aspect... I can say, from experience, that the sheer variety of food that Spice of Life requires you to eat is not realistic. Of course, you could argue that this provides a crude simulation of nutritional requirements. That, however, would make it such a crude and ineffective simulation that one could also argue that if that were the point, it does so so poorly that it's not worth the hassle.

But perhaps the aspect of Spice of Life that irritates me the most is not the mod itself, but the way in which it was chosen. To my knowledge, there was no voting of any sort, much unlike the near-universally-loved decocraft. The decision to install it on the server was made either by the mods and admins without consulting players, or by kampf alone, and both of those possibilities terrify me in a way I can't begin to explain.

It's worth mentioning, by the way, that I am a serious proponent of transparency, almost to the point of obsession. I'm sure this decision was not made with malicious intent, but it still feels profoundly wrong to me.

/rant

Now, with my pathetically small number of words out of the way, I'd like to make a simple poll. This is not an official poll, and is really more of a social experiment than anything else, so I'll phrase it as simply as possible, and I won't vote on it myself.
atonofkittys
MC name: a_ton_of_kittys

Re: An aimless rant about food

In defense of the GM team, the reason Hunger Overhaul was ditched was because, at that time, it was not getting updated for 1.7.10., not because we didn't want input from the playerbase. We wanted a mod that did something similar, and Spice of Life was the next best thing. This was brought up in discussion during TS sessions, and those involved were all quite pleased with the change and were glad to see Hunger Overhaul go at the time.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. :P
Macecurb
MC name: Ecurbmac

Re: An aimless rant about food

atonofkittys wrote:In defense of the GM team, the reason Hunger Overhaul was ditched was because, at that time, it was not getting updated for 1.7.10., not because we didn't want input from the playerbase. We wanted a mod that did something similar, and Spice of Life was the next best thing. This was brought up in discussion during TS sessions, and those involved were all quite pleased with the change and were glad to see Hunger Overhaul go at the time.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. :P
I'm aware that is isn't yet updated, though I was not aware that it had been discussed with others outside the GM team.

It's very possible I'm just ranting pointlessly and incorrectly about the whole transparency thing. That said, I still hate the mod itself for my own reasons.

Return to “Idea Archives”