dekt's GM Application

dekt
MC name: excadr1ll

dekt's GM Application

Full Name:

(Admins/GMs know my full name. I'm not comfortable posting personal information on forums, I apologize!)

RP Name: Ryan W. Flynn.
MC Username: dekt.
Time Zone: UTC -5.
Number of hours available:

Usually quite a few ranging from late night/early morning my time up until late evening. Usually half a day since I work from home.

Are you in any leadership positions in-game?

I'm not sure if it counts but I recently participated in the tournament for Aurelia's gym leader and got that position, but that's about all.

What can you bring to the GM team?

I'm very mature and honest about things, and I like to help others. I have some experience in dealing with minecraft issues and wouldn't mind lending an extra hand to help maybe take some strain off of the current GMs and Administration. I try to as best I can in my current role on the support team in reporting any issues people have brought up to me with Kampf or another GM if available.

I try to do a lot of troubleshooting for the server, and I think some of the staff has seen my notes and spreadsheets about this stuff. I'm pretty organized and I love trying to figure out the solution to problems I run across. I just wish there were more that I could do to help out than rattle off the same line about submitting a /ticket or making people feel like I'm being unhelpful by directing them to a GM instead. D:

I have knowledge of the plugins and mods we use and have set up a local machine that runs everything we use recently, so that I'll have a place to test bugs without destroying things on the live server or interfering with the roleplay of other people by being OOC on live.

I can RP somewhat decently, I believe. I've never had any major complaints (and I hope if anyone does have any they'd let me know!) I can handle constructive criticism well and I'm not very easy to offend, personally. I love this server and I want it to stay around and become even more popular. I will do whatever is required of me within reason to make that happen.

I'm very much willing to participate in events as an actor if needed, so that others on staff might be able to participate as their own characters. I also have no problem helping out with builds and event planning if needed, though I'm not really good enough at building and prefer to stick with helping out on minor detailing and smaller builds. And not quite creative enough to plan out whole events, but I love to offer suggestions and participate in brainstorming and don't take offense if my ideas won't work.

I don't think my skills in those areas are conducive to joining any of those teams. I'm sort of a 'jack of all trades, master of none' sort of person I guess!

I guess to close off this already lengthy section, I already do enjoy working with the current GM and Administration team and would love to be able to do more and help take more of the workload onto my own back to keep everyone happy.

What is one weakness in yourself that might hinder your ability to moderate?

Definitely my vocal communication skills, such as on teamspeak. They leave something to be desired when I don't have a lot of time to think before I have to answer. I also get distracted pretty easily and lose track of what I was doing. I'm really bad at setting myself away or remembering to disconnect when I step away from my computer for a while, on game, skype and TS. I often forget to, so that might be kind of a problem... Usually if I'm muted in teamspeak or not in there at all, I'm busy with my offline work which is pretty sporadic.

I like to be brief and concise in my replies so that they're as direct and to the point as possible since minecraft text strings are very limited (it probably doesn't show here) and I'm aware that I can come off as... rude or too rigid in text, but I think anyone who's talked to me in teamspeak on a good day can confirm that I am, in fact, a friendly but awkward human being when I'm not distracted by something!

I also lack of bit of self confidence at times and sometimes need to ask others if I'm doing the right thing. I'm not sure how much that counts, but it probably would interfere a little bit with my ability to get something done quickly if I have to ask for confirmation that I'm allowed to do it first. I don't need like, a full handbook of specific rules... but general guidelines are very helpful!

It's not very easy to stress me out or upset me to the point where I get rude or sassy towards players (At least, not OOC, but I'll admit its probably happened once or twice and I felt really bad about losing my cool. D:) but there are a few things that require me to step back from a situation and let someone else handle it, and I'm willing to discuss those things privately with GMs/Admins, but not publicly.

With GM powers, what is one aspect of the server you would change?

Probably not a lot. I wouldn't mind trying to add some lore building easter eggs like I've stumbled across in my time here as I think those are really neat and always love running into something like that. But I'd most likely build them first on my own world and ask for Heart and Hat's approval on stuff like this, as Roleplay and Building are their specialties.

Like Kampf, I'd probably fix broken/floating trees and floating snow piles a lot when I see them.

Previous experiences:

Admittedly not much with minecraft other than what I've been doing here, at least not on any public or popular servers. I like to mess around with plugins on my own private single-player servers and the private friends-only servers of my buddies, and familiarize myself with them. I'm very hands-on with learning these things and set up my own test server so that I can practice these for myself without messing up anything on live.

In the past I've done a lot of work with MU* and text-based games in terms of building (describing things in text, not blocks) and administration, dealing with the concerns and ideas of players and helping to implement them.

Most of my real-life job experience is either retail or military, so working in teams comes pretty naturally to me. I'm more comfortable with a chain of command than without one.

Other:

I'm hesitant to submit this, really, because all of the GM areas are basically covered and I'm not sure where I'd fit in the hierarchy. It's mostly that support team is a little frustrating when you don't feel like you're able to help out as much as you could. To be honest, I'd probably just be satisfied with a couple basic permissions to help take a more active role in the support team and remaining Kampf's underling. xD

In any case, I'd consider myself more of a Junior GM than an actual GM if accepted.

Anyhow, thank you for taking the time to read this overly long application, and for your consideration! Whichever way, I'm happy to remain on support/forum moderation and help out where I can!

-dekt
TheRickCroese
MC name: TheRickCroese

Re: dekt's GM Application

If someone deserves a GM, it must be you. I know you have so much to help everyone out, and you have done so much behind the scenes!
You got my support!
Peach
MC name: Peachi3xx

Re: dekt's GM Application

Welcome to the moderating team!~

Return to “Accepted Applications”