Avah Horowitz Application

JoyOfNature
MC name: Joy_Of_Nature

Avah Horowitz Application

-Player Questions-
Minecraft Username: Joy_Of_Nature
Pronouns (optional): Any
Where did you hear about us: Just from a random google search
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm an artist, nature freak and big fan of video games. I'd like to think I'm personable and always love talking about whatever- I've been RPing for a long time and love to get engrossed in worlds, especially if they're Pokémon themed.

-Roleplay Questions-
[ Please use your own words & You are free to delete anything of the things in ()s ]
What is meta-gaming?: Meta-gaming is when an individual uses information not gotten organically through RP to influence an aspect of a character/scene/etc. An example of Meta-Gaming would be if a law-enforcement type character received a bit of OOC information that an evil team was meeting in a particular location- then acting on this information by going there and apprehending them. There is no way the individual would have known this meeting was occurring, thusly Meta-Gaming.

What is power-gaming / god-modding?: Power-Gaming/God-Modding is when an individual takes away another player's agency, such as concluding a scene or moment without input or respect to the other player's possibly response. An example would be if a Pokémon battle just began and Player "A" roleplayed: *Pete calls out to his Sneasel to use slash, taking down Rachel's Steelix in a single blow.* this takes away all interactivity of a scene by concluding a moment and denying the other player the chance to participate.

What is retroactive continuity? (retcon): To retcon something is to apply a new bit of information to a preexisting character/event/etc that can make someone completely reinterpret said character/event/etc. An example of this could be: A character saying they were born in Kanto, having spent their life there and everyone accepts this to be true. A retcon of this would be if the OOC player decided that their character actually had their mind altered by a psychic Pokémon and turns out they were really born in Sinnoh!

What is Character Bleed, and how can you prevent it? : Character bleed is when things that occur to your character ICly (Typically negative) begin to affect the way you feel Out of character- and visa-versa. It is important while roleplaying to be able to take a breath and remind yourself that your character isn't you, and is also a fictional work. While its reasonable that distressing events happening to your character can illicit such a reaction it's important to take care of your mental health and to reaffirm the disconnect that you and the IC world have.

Do you have previous experience playing on a RP server?: I have no previous experience on a -minecraft- roleplay server but I am an avid Roleplayer myself. I do lots of roleplay in world of warcraft (Being an officer in a roleplay guild) I also regularly both run and participate in Dungeons & Dragons games. I've also had a smattering of random RP in various different games!

-General Character Questions-
Full name: Avah Horowitz
Appearance: Avah Horowitz is a 5’3 woman. She’s white, but not quite pale. She has a round which she typically tries to bare a smile on (to little success). A slight hue of red don her cheeks. She has green eyes which are framed by her long messy brown hair. She has small ears and a bit of a big nose. Her body is quite average, decently sized arms and legs give hint at something more to this secretary. This is also evident through her less-than-cared for nails.

Personality: Avah Horowitz is a very hectic woman, typically on some end of paperwork she tends to be a little rushed in her conversations. A secretary by trade this typically explains her busy-body nature, always moving from point A to point B and to the public’s eye she spends little time on herself. While not necessarily rude she can be blunt and very matter-of-fact and is quick to offer a correction even if it’s not wanted. Those who dig deeper or get a look into her personal life would find her both very knowledgeable on Pokémon battling- Not to an expert degree but more than your average paper-pusher would know. You’d also find her deep love for nature. Her eyes always drawn to plant-life which is probably the only thing that pulls her from work. And deep under all this busy-work she’s a passionate and caring woman, it just takes a lot of digging to get there.

Biography: Avah Horowitz was born in Castelia City, Unova. Daughter of a banker and a librarian her family always had an aura of academics. Growing up her parents coaxed Avah into a studious lifestyle. Taking her schooling, grades, and future seriously. While never pressured in any regard there was always an expectation from Avah to achieve academic “greatness” considering her parents. This lifestyle that Avah adopted prevented her from engaging in many things typical of her age, key of which was schoolyard Pokémon battles. She always envisioned her future to be that of great literature or possibly a business mogul. But despite these dreams she couldn’t help but find herself staring out the study hall window at the battles taking place on the courtyard. Silent cheers and under the desk fist-pumps were commonplace as she observed with a keen eye. She couldn’t help but see these battles with a more calculated mind, always jotting notes down on how a trainer could have done better- despite herself never having battled in her life.

This continued into her teens. And with teen hood came a change in personality. Avah was moodier, feeling both constricted by her academics as well as the growing concreate jungle that was Castelia City. She would occasionally go out to Castelia park- Despite being in the centre of it all the greenery offered a respite from everything. Every blade of grass, every flower, all of them offered the young girl zen- and would blossom her quiet little love for nature. Her study spaces would now be dotted with potted plants of all sorts. Another impactful event of her youth was when her family took her on a tripe down to the more southern part of Unova- specifically Route 20 to visit a budding ranch. There a small seed shaped Pokémon caught Avah’s attention. For once she begged and pleaded for her parents to catch it for her. They obliged since the young girl never asked for much. With that Avah’s best friend Sunkern was caught. When stuck for a name her mother suggested “Golly” to mimic her daughter’s reaction at seeing the grass type and it stuck from there.

Avah continued her studies- now with a new studying partner and eventually graduated with quite high marks. Now an adult her first prerogative was to get a job- which she quickly found as a receptionist at a hospital. This didn’t last long as the job was unfulfilling. Her next job was as a secretary in a museum- This is where Avah found her real knack in her organizational skills. Excelling in this field Avah thrived, only ever leaving this job as it was closing down to move it’s contents to Nacrene City. After this she found herself a job once again as a secretary for a construction company. A thriving business in Castelia the woman would also thrive here. But while she was doing great at work there dark cloud of smog over her head only got thicker. As she reached her thirties Castelia was a behemoth of a city. A giant constricting concreate Sandaconda that just squeezed the life from her. She needed a break and she needed it -quick-. While filing documents she came across some documents for a possible business exchange with the Toro Region. Avah wasn’t the most worldly so for once she shirked work to read up on this region. It truly sounded like a paradise, descriptions of kind folk, open air, it almost seemed like a dream. While normally a calculating woman for once Avah decided to do something as a snap decision. Keeping a jar below her bed she eventually saved up enough to buy a ticket. Wishing goodbye to her family and coworkers she took Golly in one arm and a suitcase in the other and hopped on the next boat to the Toro Region. An emotional rollercoster for sure but Avah had faith it will all end up alright.

Flaws: Busy-Body, Work Oriented, Curt/Blunt, Occasionally Cold
Ambitions: To get more into the Pokémon battling sphere, to feel fulfilled in life, to make more meaningful friends.
Starter Pokemon: Sunkern
Skin: https://imgur.com/a/x2KsIH2

-Open Response Questions-

You find yourself standing in a bustling town. Suddenly, a small girl runs up to you, her eyes seeming to glisten with fresh tears as her bottom lip quivers. “Please!” She cries out to you, “You must help me! My poor Meowth is stuck in a tree!” She points to a nearby tree as more tears spill out of her eyes and down her cheeks. How does your character respond?

Avah closes her eyes, letting out a low sigh before crouching down to be eye level with the girl and speaks in a reassuring voice. “Calm down sweetheart it’s okay- I can’t help you directly but I can get someone who will.” She would carefully wipe the tears away with her thumb before standing up. Having a brief look around she would spot a trainer sitting with their Tangela. Not waiting for a moment the busy-body would approach the trainer- speaking in an authoritative tone. “Your Tangela is required, A young girl’s Meowth is up a tree over there and she requires assistance. My Sunkern is not quite capable of it but I know your Tangela is- So come.” The demanding nature shocks the boy, causing him to follow along to the tree where he directs his Tangela to stretch out it’s vines, wrapping carefully around the Meowth and lowering it to the ground where the girl quickly scoops it up. She looks back at both Avah and the random trainer. “Thank you both- so so much!” The trainer rubs the back of his neck, telling the girl that it was no issue. Avah on the other hand offers a small nod and walks off. A small, pleased smile on her lips.

You are walking along the road when your eyes lock onto a trainer's in the distance. At that moment, you both freeze in place. You see a glimmer in the trainer's eyes as he reaches for his Pokeball. "Go, Rattata! Show this chump what we've been training for!" the trainer shouts as he swiftly releases his chosen partner in the vacant space that separates the two of you. How does your character respond?

Avah holds up her hands and shakes her head. “Nope, none of that sorry. I’m not a trainer.” She motions to Golly the Sunkern cradled in her arm. “I also wish not for her to get hurt. So get that enthusiastic look out of your eye and recall that Rattata.” The woman then continues on, walking past the trainer and the Pokémon. But as she does she clearly tells neither are pleased with this outcome as the both bare a disheartened look. Closing her eyes briefly Avah turns back to face them both. “I’m not going to battle you- But tell me HOW you would have beaten me.” This seems to please the trainer as he begins to speak proudly of his Rattata, and how he would have used Super Fang, then quick attack- making quick work of Avah’s Sunkern. Avah herself would be humming along, nodding as she takes in the boy’s words. Once finished the secretary offers him a smile. “You’ll be a great trainer one day.” Before walking off.
Last edited by JoyOfNature on Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZIF
MC name: ZIFFromGeico

Re: Avah Horowitz Application

Hello! Thank you for your interest and applying to the server! We're excited to have you, but we have a few notes. Communication would be 100% smoother and clearer in Discord though! We recommend joining it for other reasons besides that though, as we also have our event schedules and all sort of event info - lore answers, and such in that channel! If you prefer not to though, I'm happy to post the notes needed here - just let us know!

You can join our Discord here: [ https://discordapp.com/invite/M5bjStc ]
JoyOfNature

Hiya! Sorry I'm a little shy about discord and stuff at the moment. If it is a requirement then I understand completely! Though if not then I totally don't mind the notes being here! Lemme know what I need to fix/improve on!
ZIF

Hey, no need to worry, we don't bite or anything! It'd just make communication a LOT easier and make this forum thread less crammed with tons of replies below the app. :p You're also not obligated to have to speak in the discord often if you don't want to! You'd be able to see events/updates to the server/and other important things on our discord, these being things that will help your experience on Toro. Anyway, I love Avah and look forward to hearing back from you!
JoyOfNature

I've joined the Discord! I might not be the chattiest but if it helps to ease the communication then I'm all cool with that!
ZIF

ACCEPTED! As your reward for getting whitelisted, enjoy this photo of a cat thats doing some breakdancing I think, WAHOO!!!!

The IP is server.toro-league.com:7777 You can find links to the Technic Pack or individual mod links in the #rules-and-resources channel of the discord, along with most important info! You can always ask if you have any questions or concerns.

Return to “Accepted Applications”