The Do's and Dont's of Toro League Roleplay!

Ecrivaillon
MC name: Ecrivaillon

The Do's and Dont's of Toro League Roleplay!

The DO's and DONT's of Toro League Roleplay
A Simple Guide in Roleplaying Etiquette!

Hi, everyone! Ecrivaillon, here, your friendly neighborhood RP Trainer! (Oh God why did I say that it's been done to death oh God) I've been playing this game for some time now, and I know how easy it is to want to focus on whatever it is that you're doing and ignore those around you. However, on a RP server like this, you're going to want to take every chance you can get to talk to the people around you. Don't let yourself get caught in a rut! Interacting with the unique and interesting characters around you is one of the greatest joys of playing on this server.
  • DON'T ignore people! I have never been more frustrated than when I attempt to strike up a conversation and the other person blows me off! People take time out of their schedules to RP with you; try to do the same. Even if that means turning around from where you were headed and saying, "Excuse me?" "Pardon?" "What did you say, there, guy?" They'll repeat what they said, and appreciate that you came back. It'll add color to your interaction, anyway. If you feel like you aren't prepared to RP with someone desperately trying to flag you down or get a response out of you, maybe you should reevaluate some things.
  • DO find interesting things to talk about with each other! Characters in Toro are constantly doing interesting things, and people love to talk about what their characters are doing. If you see a person fishing for a while, go up and ask if they've caught anything worthwhile! Or brag about how you're a better fisherman than they are! Or... Compliment their technique? I dunno. But a good RP'er can find an opportunity in any situation. And even if you feel like you can't find anything interesting, but you really want to RP, try a simple greeting. We all know what small talk is, right? Normal people engage in small talk. Characters can, too. Talk about the horrible rain, or a certain thunderstorm, or a certain company, or a certain person. The world around you is filled with material for you to use!
  • DON'T ever let an opportunity slip away, or waste an opportunity so that you can do something a little faster. Take things slow and steady when RP'ing. You'll find that the conversation brings a nice contrast to your hardened life of... Whatever it is that your character does. If you're in an interesting situation, feel free to talk about it! That's the whole point. You constantly want to develop your character's own unique way of speaking and thinking and talking and moving and emoting. And the only way to do that is to practice!
  • DO bring other elements to your RP'ing! A simple talk-talk-talk-talk-talk interaction isn't exciting or livening. Add a movement in there! Move your avatar around! Twist your head to look at something specific! (Your shoes, perhaps.) Change from a shout to a whisper! You don't want your interactions to be a simple "I'm going to just type /t and then whatever I'll say and that will be it!" Spice it up a little. You have lots of different commands at your fingertips; use them.
  • DON'T forsake proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation for speed! It's okay to have a typo now and again, but you shouldn't neglect things like real sentence structure or your commas and periods. As a RP'er, it is your job to get your character's thoughts, emotions, and personality traits to come alive through your text. When you present yourself with a well thought-out sentence or phrase, you come across as a more experienced, talented RP'er; when that happens, then people listen to what your character is saying and people watch what they are doing. And, as an RP'er, that should be what you want! That people pay attention to them.
  • DO work in your character's history! It's one thing to make up a character template and be done with it; it is an entirely different thing to bring a character's history into their lives. When someone is talking about training Water-type Pokemon, and your mother had a Dewgong, bringing that up adds a completely new dimension to your character. Don't just make it up, though! Have a real idea in mind of what your character came from. In real life, a person is constantly thinking about their history, right? "Wow, that reminds me of my sister." "Ugh. My brother would know how to do this way better than I could." "This bread is horrible! You know, my dad, he used to make this great bread every weekend." Little things like that are absolute gems in RP'ing. You'll see your characterization become fuller and fuller all the time.
I will probably add to this as I think of more. Maybe not. In any case, I hope this little list might help you better acclimate to the exciting world of Toro. :3 Hope to see you role-playing!
Peach
MC name: Peachi3xx

Re: The Do's and Dont's of Toro League Roleplay!

Stickied!

Dos and Don'ts at their finest. :D
TheRickCroese
MC name: TheRickCroese

Re: The Do's and Dont's of Toro League Roleplay!

Crystal clear. Just how I like it!

Return to “Archives”