Gin's Very Own App

Ginweedo
MC name: Gingar22

Gin's Very Own App

-Player Questions-
Minecraft Username: Gingar22
Discord Username: Ginweedo#7876
Where did you hear about us: I realized I wanted to try out a Pixelmon RP and so I started looking for one. I ran into a reddit comment that mentioned this server dated a year old, but I gave it a try and it still existed, which I saw as a good sign!
Tell us a little about yourself: I’m Gin, she/her. I like RP though these days I mostly play tabletop RPGs for my “fix”. I enjoy pokemon a lot and I’ve run a tabletop campaign set in its world before (using Pokemon Tabletop United, if you’ve ever heard of it). I’m not the most active person online, but it really depends on if stuff manages to hold my interest. I really want to check out your server and see what you’re all up to in it, and maybe try to make my own character part of things.

-Roleplay Questions-
[ Please use your own words. ]
What is roleplaying?
It’s an activity in which one or more people impersonate fictional beings for entertainment purposes. It can take place over many different mediums, from pen & paper, to Minecraft, to kids playing pretend in the yard.

What is meta-gaming?
It’s something that can happen during roleplaying, when the divide between character and player knowledge breaks down, usually by accident but sometimes, when there’s game elements involved, people do it to try and eke out an advantage. In roleplaying it’s almost always a bad thing, but the term’s a bit muddled nowadays because of competitive gaming, which also involves a meta-game. Learning, using, leveraging and exploiting “the meta” is how people engage with competitive videogames. In essence, Meta-gaming in those spaces is par for the course. This is a bit relevant to Pixelmon because Pokemon has such a long tradition of both roleplay and competitive battling, and Pixelmon inherits a lot of that. I’m not particularly interested in the competitive battling side of things myself.

What is power-gaming / god-modding?
Powergaming is a term that refers to playing games in such a way that you optimize and maximize, playing to win, sometimes at the cost of other aspects of the game, such as cooperation or, in the case of roleplay, the roleplay itself. It predates videogames, because the first powergamers were wargamers and later D&D players.

God-modding refers to something that can happen in roleplay specifically, which is when a player plays without regard for others in order to make themselves and their character “the best”. In text RP this usually manifests as people typing descriptions of actions involving other characters and narrating the other character’s reactions without their player’s consent. For example, player A narrates that their character fires a laser at player B’s character, but instead of stopping there so player B can react, player A adds that the laser cuts off player B’s character’s arm and that they scream in pain. Player B is very confused.

I’ve seen them used as synonyms, but to me they’re kinda different like so. Hopefully that’s not pedantic lol.

What is retroactive continuity?
I’m not super super sure but I think it’s what retconning is short for? As in, if it turns out that my action in the roleplay didn’t make sense because of something I didn’t know about, maybe I’ll ask to retcon it. Is that it?

Edit: Bedtime confirmed it's retcon in the discord so I'll type up a bit more:

Retroactive continuity means editing facts about the story or about a character after the fact. For example, if I later decided to change how Brillia obtained her starter, that would be retroactive continuity.

What is the difference between in-character (IC) and out-of-character (OOC)?
In-character is what happens in the fiction of the roleplay. Out-of-character is what happens outside of that fiction at the level of the players. Communicating clearly in both, separately, is important for good roleplay.

Do you have previous experience playing on a RP server? (This won’t affect your acceptance)
Not in minecraft, no, but I played a lil bit of RP in a WoW server a long time ago. I have a lot of experience with text-RP and tabletops, but not so much in this medium. Hopefully I can learn quickly.

-General Character Questions-
[There is a one full paragraph (at least 5 sentences) minimum for the appearance, biography, and personality. This is for each of these parts and not put together. Your first character must come from a region that isn't Toro.]
Full name: Brillia Aspet

Appearance:
Brillia is toned and compact: The result of many, many hours of athletics and sports, done at the behest of her parents and teachers. She was, at one point, the headliner of her school’s track team AND swimming team. Her shock of sun-bleached red hair is usually kept away from her eyes by a headband. She doesn’t take care of it, so it’s not in the best state, owing partly to the chlorine in all those pools she’s swimmed in. She prefers her old gym uniform and jacket worn over her competitive swimsuit, and kinda treats other clothes like they don’t measure up. Her shoes are always beat up, from endless running.

Personality:
Brillia is singleminded to a fault, and her focus is almost always far away from whatever’s happening around her; unless what’s happening around her is either a competition or something to do with castles and knights, that is. She loves that medieval stuff, and has been obsessed with it since she was a little kid. Everything she’s ever done has been a compromise compared to going out there, having a real adventure, and maybe finding a castle along the way. She dreams of calling herself a real knight someday, even though she doesn’t think she deserves the title just yet. She’s never even seen an adult dragon-type let alone slain one, and rescuing a Meowth from a tree isn't quite up to the level of proper knightly heroics.

Biography:
Brillia comes from castle-less Hoenn. She’s always been athletic and competitive, though as a kid this manifested more in playfighting with a stick and beating up bullies. Later in her school career, she got talked into trying out for the various sports teams, and the rest is history. Her achievements in those things never really satisfied her, and she kept trying to argue her parents into letting her go on a proper pokemon journey (“like a real knight”, but she stopped adding that part when she realized it wasn’t very convincing in modern times). She was talked down from leaving each time. Eventually, her frustration with her mundane and boring life won out and she broke every promise, running to the docks and buying herself a ticket going “anywhere”. With that prize in her pocket and despondent imagining what her parents would say, she realized she needed to catch a pokemon before leaving. Going off to do that netted her a Karrablast, but left her no time to pack or say goodbye, making her an official runaway.

Flaws: Brillia lives in the clouds. She’s easily distracted and can be baited with the most vague implication that something might be ‘knightly’ or involve a castle.

Ambitions: To be a knight in truth.
Starter Pixelmon: Karrablast or Pawniard
Skin:

(If it’s too modern-looking I can tone it down)

-Open Response Questions-
-Write in third person!-
[Respond to at least 2 of the 3 scenarios. There is a one full paragraph (at least 5 sentences) minimum for each of the scenarios you choose, and responses must be written in third person and formatted like RP instead of a description. Like: ' Steve focuses on the girl with a gasp and asks, " How can I help? " ' other than ' Steve would answer the call to help the cat! Feel free to make responses for the NPC in order to meet this requirement.]

You find yourself standing in a bustling town. Suddenly, a small girl runs up to you, her eyes seeming to glisten with fresh tears as her bottom lip quivers. “Please!” She cries out to you, “You must help me! My poor Meowth is stuck in a tree!” She points to a nearby tree as more tears spill out of her eyes and down her cheeks. How does your character respond?

What had been Brillia’s train of thought up until that point crashes and burns. A quest! A real life call to adventure! “Hold on! I’ll save your Meowth!” Before she’s done saying the last word, she starts running towards the tree. The Meowth might have been better off staying safely up there.

After arriving in Toro a cheerful woman walks up to you, a clipboard in her hand. “Hello and welcome to Toro! I would like to ask where you came from and why you came, as well as where you plan to go. All for for statistical reasons of course.” she asked with a bright smile as she held a pen to her clipboard. How does your character respond?

“Ah- er- that is…” Brillia is a terrible liar, and she’d been too focused on the sights and sounds around her to come up with something in advance. “I’m um… Brillia! Aspet. And uh… I’m here to go on a pokemon journey,” she manages. “Which is not illegal!” She remembers to add, just in case the lady forgot.

You are walking along the road when your eyes lock onto a trainer's in the distance. At that moment, you both freeze in place. You see a glimmer in the trainer's eyes as he reaches for his Pixelball. "Go, Rattata! Show this chump what we've been training for!" the trainer shouts as he swiftly releases his chosen partner in the vacant space that separates the two of you. How does your character respond?

“GO! AGILULF!” She yells loud enough to potentially drown out the other trainer’s commands and maybe even hurt someone’s ears. Agilulf the Karrablast/Pawniard rockets out of a basic Pixelball and manifests on the ground, utterly confused. It takes only a moment for him to notice the other pokemon, at which point everything becomes clear. Violence it is!
Rosy
MC name: Rosy

Re: Gin's Very Own App

Welcome! Wonderful app! Thank you applying, and I hope you have fun :3

When you get online, you can notify a staff with a starter of your choice, with whatever specifications you could want! Custom Size / Nature / Gender / Non-HA Ability ( if you want one of these, you're best with asking around )
I'll also let you know, since it's easy to miss but! We do level the playing field a little bit and provide Max IVs / near Max IVs for Hidden Powers - though people still need to breed if they want specific stats ( like 0 atk ) and for the rest :3 ! There's a NPC to do that in our Battle Tower!

But outside of all that WELCOME! The IP is server.toro-league.com:7777 and
You can find links to the Technic Pack or individual mod links in the #rules-and-resources channel of discord, along with most important info! You can always ask if you have any questions or concerns.
^^ I recommend giving the New Player Guidea read~

Return to “Accepted Applications”