Norah Notley

NorahNotley
MC name: NorahNotley

Norah Notley

-Player Questions-
Minecraft Username: NorahNotley (Norah_Notley on Mojang, I migrated.)
Discord Username: Shi'Rizao#1694
Where did you hear about us: I was trying to find pixelmon servers that also utilized Pams Harvestcraft, and I discovered this absolute gem of a site on one of the websites ranking different servers.
Tell us a little about yourself: I’ve been roleplaying for the majority of my life now, and I got my start on roleplay forums. I did spend a good bit of time in MMOs, this character name being taken directly from a character over on World of Warcraft! I’m disabled irl, so roleplaying has always been a sort of escape for me, and it ended up becoming a deep love for writing. I’m a little on the shy side at first oocly!

-Roleplay Questions-
[ Please use your own words. ]

What is roleplaying?
Roleplaying is essentially collaborative story-telling. A group of people coming together with an understanding of the space they’re creating within, be it a Starship Troopers setting, or traipsing across Azeroth, or within a Pokemon setting. Keeping consideration for the rules of the setting in mind, they imagine what kind of character could exist in this world, figuring out the backstory for that character based on their understanding of that setting. From there its just one big writing exercise of seeing who this person is, how they react to others and the situations they find themselves in, and how it changes them over time. If they’re able to reach their goals, or find a new dream, or end up not achieving anything they were hoping for. It’s also about seeing how different characters and their stories end up overlapping, changing each other for better or for worse. A little long winded, but we’re bringing life to entire people through words in a way, aren’t we?

What is meta-gaming?
The act of using knowledge that a player can only know OOCly in order to affect something ICly in a way they should not be able to. A loose example would be, Billy walks into class and he snuck a bag of chips in his jacket, which he hangs off the back of his chair. He’s never snuck food into class before, no one has any way of knowing he has a bag of chips, he is the only person in that room who should be aware of the potatochips he has in his jacket. Rick, who is sitting at the seat behind Billy’s desk, reaches into the jacket to steal the chips, because Rick’s player knows about the chips and wants Rick to have the chips. This is, professionally speaking, A Dick Move. Because that’s what using knowledge to give yourself an unfair advantage that your character should not reasonably have is.

What is power-gaming / god-modding?
Forcing an action in your emote that is unfair towards other players, be it by acting directly against them or by giving yourself an unreasonable advantage. It is also the act of forcing a situation in which retaliation is not possible, IE “I stab you and you die.” Anything that takes power away from other players or arbitrarily gives it to you for the sake of doing so.

What is retroactive continuity?
A retcon is basically an undo or “Wait I need to take this bit out.” Used sparingly and reasonably, such as “I need to retcon my character to having said September 21st instead of September 22nd, I goofed up on the dates.” or “Hey said the wrong name by mistake, can I retcon it to the correct name instead?” or something is an entirely reasonable use of a retcon. Retcons to fix mild oopsies is what they’re made for. We make mistakes, no one is perfect!

A bad retcon is “Hey remember how my character tried to blow something up and got arrested? Yeah none of that ever happened.” because its an attempt to avoid unwanted consequences or repercussions for choices that a character made. You don’t just oopsie a Whole Building.

What is the difference between in-character (IC) and out-of-character (OOC)?
IC are the actions and thoughts and choices made by a person’s character, or details relevant to that character that canonically happened for them! OOC is the actions, choices, and other stuff made by the player themselves, and not their character. It’s the same line you have between an Actor and the character they’re portraying. The line must be kept distinct and clear, because the difference between a character and a player can be quite stark, and if a person is playing a character with certain vices or negative qualities, it would be unfair to treat the player as though they themselves have those qualities. (Though there are some taboos that I believe qualify as red flags, but as far as I am aware they are not going to be likely to come up on a pokemon RP server.)

Do you have previous experience playing on a RP server? (This won’t affect your acceptance)
Oh god like. 17 years? 17 years of roleplaying online, with my start being on a Megaman forum called EXEHQ that is sadly long gone. I do admit I’ve never rped on Minecraft itself, though. I’ve been curious on if there’s any sort of RP scene to be had, since that tends to be what engages me the most in games!

-General Character Questions-
[There is a one full paragraph (at least 5 sentences) minimum for the appearance, biography, and personality. This is for each of these parts and not put together. Your first character must come from a region that isn't Toro.]
Full name: Norah Notley
Appearance: Norah is a little on the lankey and lithe side, due in part to a more… FRUGAL lifestyle in the mountains of Galar and Kalos during her youth, along with the injuries that a mountaineer’s lifestyle brings. She keeps her hair long, and her bangs over her green eyes. She claims this to be a matter of comfort over practicality.

She’s dark skinned, with freckles peppering over her entire body that vary between being darker and lighter than her base skintone. She’s bucktoothed, and admittedly a little shy about showing her mouth, strongly preferring to wear scarves whenever possible.

Her body is very toned, with her hands and feet both having unusual definition: tendons can be clearly seen, and her somewhat calloused hands have scarring from… Well. Extreme mountain climbing.

Personality: Norah might look as though she’d be on the shy side, but she really isn’t. It’d be more apt to call her … Gremlin-like. High energy, high mischief. She isn’t a malicious sort, but pranks are second-nature to her. First-nature to her is climbing, often dropping whatever she may be doing to fling herself at something she thinks looks fun to climb.

She’s boundlessly curious as well, known back home for her heavily used library card. Her mother was a baker, but her father was a researcher, and both did all they could to instill her with a love for their preferred sciences. Her grandfather was a mountaineer, who would often take her up to the mountains or into the woods around her home town.

The end result is a high-energy, friendly cryptid who came out of the woods one day covered in sticks and branches with field notes and foraged ingredients she’s positively VIBRATING with excitement to throw in an oven to see what she can make happen.

Biography: Norah was born in Ballonlea, Galar. Her mother was a baker, a daughter of a Mountaineer who made his living from keeping people safe on the mountains, and surveying them for hazards. Her father was a researcher, who specialized in the study of species of pokemon that were most commonly found in those mushroom laden dark woods. This is where Norah discovered a fondness and admiration for the Impidimp line. Those little pink troublemakers had no issue getting her in on their jokes, which allowed them to enjoy the delicious frustration the trouble could bring to her neighbors.

To try to get her to stop causing so much trouble around the town, her parents convinced her Grandfather to start taking her on the less dangerous climbs he went on. Her hesitation at this turned into a deep joy when she realized just how much she actually enjoyed climbing! She even started to convince her parents to join them from time to time, as a family trip every year. Skiing and camping did seem like a great thing to share, after all!

Unfortunately, mountains are dangerous places. Even with all of the experience in the world, even with the supplies and the knowledge and the fair weather on their side, tragedy comes: Abrupt and unfair. A trainer in battle further up the mountains commanding his companion to use “Magnitude” isn’t something one can predict, nor can they choose where they are in relation to the resulting avalanche. All you can do is try to survive, or ensure the survival of someone else.

Norah was found by rescue teams several hours later, protected under the bodies of her grandfather and her parents, braced against their camping supplies and a rock they hid behind in the hopes it would form a cavity.

She seemed to have been soothed to sleep by a Yamask, still stuck to her grandfather’s face.

And she never could look at the mountains of her home the same way again. Some days she couldn't even bring herself to stand at their base, but she still loved climbing. So after the most recent memorial service, and with some encouragement from her Yamask- Her Grandfather. Her family. Her always-there protector, reliable as the mountains themselves. She's decided to make a new home for herself far away. He'd put a travel brochure for the Toro region on her desk one morning, to let her know his suggestion the only way he could.

Flaws: She’s impulsive with pranks and climbing both, due to growing up around Impidimps and her time spent with her grandfather. The latter is especially distracting for her, and she climbs when she’s feeling Too Much in any given moment. A coping strategy that’s become a little maladaptive. Additionally, she has immense claustrophobia, and she over-prepares to a frightening degree after what happened to her family. She is also prone to extreme paranoia.

Ambitions: She isn’t sure what she wants to be yet, though she does want to at least work for a bakery, or to be a pop-up peddler.
Starter Pixelmon: An Enormous Male Yamask named Kill-Sin. (Her Grandfather was Kill-Sin Notley! Yes that is an actual name. He was a Big Lad too)
Skin: https://imgur.com/a/WJfc6zk (Plus some art that applies to her here! Except for the two left hands part. she has normal hands.)

-Open Response Questions-
-Write in third person!-
[Respond to at least 2 of the 3 scenarios. There is a one full paragraph (at least 5 sentences) minimum for each of the scenarios you choose, and responses must be written in third person and formatted like RP instead of a description. Like: ' Steve focuses on the girl with a gasp and asks, " How can I help? " ' other than ' Steve would answer the call to help the cat! Feel free to make responses for the NPC in order to meet this requirement.]

You find yourself standing in a bustling town. Suddenly, a small girl runs up to you, her eyes seeming to glisten with fresh tears as her bottom lip quivers. “Please!” She cries out to you, “You must help me! My poor Meowth is stuck in a tree!” She points to a nearby tree as more tears spill out of her eyes and down her cheeks. How does your character respond?

Norah couldn’t help but stare at the distressed child for a moment as the cogs in her head turned, settling on only four words:

My time has come.

The little girl had turned to point to the tree, and upon turning towards Norah again she’d have found empty air where the woman once stood, and the sounds of boots thunking along the cobblestone path leading to the tree in question. In the second it took her to turn around and look back towards the cursed tree that was holding her beloved Meowth captive, Norah was already half way up to the feline.

The Yamask that had been following her let out an ethereal, warbling sigh. One of its hands covered its beaked face, while the other moved to cover its grizzled, golden mask’s face. “Hey, no! No! NO SCRATCHIN’!” shouted from the branches prompting it to drag both hands downwards in utter disappointment.

But the girl would get her frazzled, furious meowth back, holding it even as it hissed through a clump of ripped hair. Norah, for her part, would get several stitches and a round of antibiotics. But she DID IT. She CLIMBED TO SAVE THE DAY.

-

After arriving in Toro a cheerful woman walks up to you, a clipboard in her hand. “Hello and welcome to Toro! I would like to ask where you came from and why you came, as well as where you plan to go. All for for statistical reasons of course.” she asked with a bright smile as she held a pen to her clipboard. How does your character respond?

Norah stopped in her tracks, tucking the paper corner of the sandwich wrapper she’d been about to open back into place, her head tilting slowly. Oh, if there was one thing growing up in a Fairy and Ghost laden forest taught her, its that you don’t just give out information. Not on your mother’s life.

But they do deal in half truths and in chaos. “I’m coming here from some mountains, not exactly sure what territory they TECHNICALLY belong to, but eh. I got a passport, good enough. I came here for teeth.”

“Very good, and-- wait. Teeth?” The cheerful woman stumbled on her pre-planned speech, finding herself cognitively backtracking. Did she say teeth? She absolutely said teeth. “Why, uh. Are you here for teeth? Are you a deeentist?” She asked tentatively, in much the same way one does when they’re slowly pushing a stick down onto a bear trap.

“Oh, no. I just like counting them. Lookin’ at them. Collecting them. All kinds, really! People teeth are harder to find, though. Some people like to take ‘em for the gold or silver fillings… Say uh, how often do you floss?” Norah leaned in a little and pointed towards the woman with the corner of her sandwich, a crinkle of paper accenting the gesture. Oh, she could see the color draining from her face.

“Oh look! Other new arrivals! I better go talk to them too, uh, survey stuff! Yeah!” The click-clack of heels power-walking away nearly broke her composure, the woman having to muffle her barely-stifled giggles into her hair. Chart THAT on a graph, lady. You probably harvest organs.
Misha
MC name: Mishpelled

Re: Norah Notley

Hi! Both the application itself and the character is absolutely fantastic and I would love to have you on the server.

Reading through and the only thing I can see- in our lore, ghost pokemon don't come from humans really! It can absolutely be folklore and she can certainly think it's her grandpa due to the myths, but in reality this wouldn't be the case. Maybe it's just a Yamask that check out all the commotion, and decided to stick with the girl for some mysterious reason?

For now the app is being accepted under the caveat that she's just assuming it's her grandpa, if you want to discuss it more then you're free to talk to lore team though and see if they'll be willing to work with you!

So long as you keep the above in mind, I see nothing else worth delaying you over though so I will say-

The IP is server.toro-league.com:7777 and you can find links to the Technic Pack or individual mod links in the #rules-and-resources channel of discord, along with most important info. You can always ask if you have any questions or concerns. I can't wait to see you around!

Return to “Accepted Applications”