Toro Premier Debates - Round 9

Here you can find the various laws and government documents.
Rosy
MC name: Rosy

Re: Toro Premier Debates - Round 9

Netlia would raise her hand as a question opening comes in, despite standing at the podium, and glance to Ceci. "Excuse me, but what's your favorite cake? I wanna bake you one, in case you win." She smiles at Ceci and waits for the answer.

----

Caecilia blinks at the question, tilting her head at Netlia before smiling and answering her opponent. "My favourite cake would be Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte. I remember my Oma baking it for my birthday and how great it tasted." She nods to Netlia after her question was answered.

With that, questions are now open to the public!
RiaLangset
MC name: ItsRia

There were a few new faces in the crowd for this election, a new generation of people eager to partake in their first election. Among them would be Arik Penn, whom stood up after some pause, with quite a few things on his mind.

“I wish to, first and foremost, apologize, as I will be taking up plenty of your time. I wish to be fully confident in a candidate before casting my first ever vote. First, I will be directing most of my concerns to you, Caecilia.”

He took a breath. “I wish to first ask when did you wish to become premier? Far as I remember, you always spoke so highly of becoming a doctor, so this comes as quite the surprise. Of course, this then leads to another great concern: According to the radio interview you gave, as well as your published platform, you spoke about your three point plan, und I have issues with all three points.”

“Point one, your social programs: Toro does have two food banks, but you neglected to mention the public gardens as well. Galena does require some help there, as they would be the one town without a food bank or a public garden. Food is not something we are scarce on, especially about it being readily available. Would it not be better to instead of going full force into food stamps, to focus on the town that is missing this vital resource? Or perhaps just making food banks in each city, though...” he chuckled. "I rather like the beauty of my town's garden, I would be heartbroken to replace it with a kitchen, but if that is what happens, it happens."

“Point two I agree on to a point. A form of regulation so our cities are more united, however...I feel the economy is very stabilized as it is. We have so many jobs available that we are actually rather desperate for workers, making Toro a dream for everyone across the world to make a new start here. Starting up construction projects would make Gold Star happy at first, but they don’t quite have the manpower, for example.”

“Point three bothers me greatly. In fact, it angers the hell out of me.” He put his hands in his pockets and cast his eyes to the Moderator, who know the boy well enough to already be sighing and preparing to stop him if it got too far. “Your stance is noble on it, your heart pours out for the poor. So much so that you slash that the healthcare was ‘built by the privileged’. I’m sorry, my liebling, but you must be thinking about Unova’s healthcare, not Toro’s.”

“What is privileged about free healthcare?”

He smiled. “Perhaps I’m biased. My father was the head doctor, und I spent four years there myself as a volunteer throughout high school. In my time there, not once did I see the doctors turn anyone away, resfuse to give aid, or even ask about someone's financial status. Someone comes in with five children? The hospital has two waiting rooms, an open cafeteria, and plenty nurses that would happily watch them und keep them entertained. I recall happily playing violin for bored and stressed family members while in uniform. Someone realizes at 11 at night that their prescription is running out? The pharmacy is still open and ready to hand you your medicine...for free, I must remind you. We have new doctors coming in, and a few more in study now. Our healthcare is about to be even more accommodating, so I’m not sure from where you pulled these views on our health care, probably for the best you decided to change your goal from doctor to politician.”

There was a warning cough from Arik’s own mother, the Moderator of these debates. “Kindly keep it civil, Mister Penn. Once more, and I will need to remove you.”

Arik waved his hand in apology. “I apologize, allow me to rephrase: I’ve stopped volunteering at the hospital since I finished high school, but I know new people have begun working there, and information is always readily available. I am wondering if there was a miscommunication in the capabilities of our healthcare system, und I’d be happy to assist you directly at my house with tea, or direct you to Hertz-Klaas Mielke, Amelia Aruji, or even Chloe Penn.”
Foska
MC name: Foska

Caecilia waits patiently for Arik to finish, smiling at him all the while. She nods her head along to assure him that she is listening. “You aren’t wrong Mr. Penn, I always wished to become a Doctor and still do so to this day. However I believe that I would be able to help more people sooner by becoming Premier than having to go through college and university first to get my degree. If I am elected, after the 4 years of my office are over, I would go to college and university to get my degree so I can become my childhood's dream of becoming a Doctor. But moving on. You are right, Toro has public gardens in other cities which are accessible, but that means naught to the working man. Imagine being a poor laborer, toiling all day at your job, your clothing covered in soot, and the many other byproducts of a labor job, your calloused hands ache with the rewarding pain of a hard day’s work.” she takes a deep breath, flashing a compassionate smile “All you want is to go home to see your family, yet in order to eat today you are forced to continue to labor, visiting a public garden to laboriously pick your own food."

"Don’t mistake what I am saying, I agree wholly that the public gardens are great for Toro, but they are not a primary resource for food because they are simply impractical. It is more logical for towns containing these public gardens, to also contain food banks in which the working class can either choose to collect their own food, if they have the time, or simply go to the food bank, and get pre-picked crops sourced from these gardens.” she’d nod “I hope that answers your question, showing just how much food banks can help. We must think not from our socioeconomic lens, but from that of the hard working laborer that creates the very base of our great region”" she’d motion impassionately with her hands before continuing on.

“As for food stamps, I agree wholly that I would not wish to go full force into them but that does not mean they do not have a use. If you refer back to my platform, I state fairly clearly that they are to be in use for those who simply can not go to the foodbank. Moreover we must account for the tastes and preferences of the people, after all those at the top of the socioeconomic ladder are allowed these changes, why should those at the bottom not be? A food stamp system will allow them to pay for the brands they want from these grocery stores, instead of relegating them to eating whatever the food bank happens to have at the moment. These systems are not made with the wealthiest in Toro in mind, but instead it’s poorest, and most reliable citizens. I think we can all agree that all quality of life should be the same, regardless of something as arbitrary as your financial status, the food stamp system would simply put these poor consumers on the same level as the rich because they are allowed the choices that they are simply deprived of in this day and age. Ultimately Mister Penn, I agree with you that we are not short on food by any means, but that does not mean we can not improve the way it’s being handed out.”

Caecilia takes a small break and drinks a little water and after a clearing her throat she continues. “I agree with you that the economy is generally stable Mr. Penn.” she says with a small nod “But, as we can see from the post war bubble that occurred in the decade immediately following the second great war, consistent governmental spending not only causes a stable economy as it has in Toro, but it can cause significant continuous growth. As long as we continue to make more, our economy will grow more. Just because something is stable does not mean we must cease, after all in economics there is no such thing as stagnation, only a boom and a bust. Currently we’ve been in a boom, but unless we continue to increase manufacturing and low wage jobs as my plans do, we will be in a bust. My second point doesn’t seek to fix a problem in the here, and now, but instead will continue to build the nation and ensure that we have the economic prosperity, and of course that Toro’s poor, it’s labor class grows at a healthy rate through the attraction of immigrants, and are constantly employed, not living in despair.”

“It is the job of the state to ensure that the economy is healthy, my second point is unequivocally, the only way to keep Toro’s economy from hitting a bust. As the master of economics himself, Keynes, would put it. Constant growth in the short run is the only way to avoid an economy in ruin. You might see that the Gold Star company is seeing a shortage, but I’m afraid that’s an anecdotal case localized to other outside factors with the corporation, because the most basic of economic theory tells us that as soon as there is a surplus of work, we will see laborers from other nations entering the market to reach equilibrium once more, ceteris paribus of course.” she’d take a deep breath before flashing the young Arik a smile “So, as you can see, based on the theories of the most brilliant economists dead and living, Gold Star is very much the exception, not the rule. The second point in my three point plan is ultimately the very best possible thing for Toro’s economy.”

“Mr. Penn,” Caecilia would smile at the man “I’m sorry that my third point has offended you, but I believe you misunderstood me. I am not saying free healthcare is a privileged thing, I am saying that the system was built not with the poor in mind, but with Toro’s more privileged citizens in mind. You say that there are many at the Hospital who can take care of a child while the parent is away, but take the case of Siobhan O'Connor, a poor immigrant from the Avalonian isles with seven children, and a husband who works as a laborer in Carmine, and is often so tired from work he simply sleeps whenever he is home. How is she supposed to bring seven children from Carmine to Aurelia in order for your doctors and nurses to see her while they watch them? You do not think that it would be easier for the mobile clinic to come to her, and give her, and all seven of those wonderful little children check ups?” she’d take another deep breath
“Just because something is free does not mean it is equal, Toro’s medical care system is made with the middle, and upper class in mind, it considers not the fact that the working class citizens simply can not afford to take a day off work in order to go to the hospital. As you said I wanted to be a doctor, and I still do hope to achieve that once I am done making Toro even better than it already is, and as a consequence of that I am intimately familiar with the system, and see exactly what is wrong with it. I truly deeply believe you should re-read my beliefs on the medical system because you’ll find that the verbal volley you barb at me does not address what I seek to fix. Just because we have a good system, does not mean we can not make it even better, and these mobile pixelmon clinics will increase the amounts of preventative medicine for the poor, without a shadow of a doubt. The only reason to be opposed to the idea of mobile medical clinics is because you do not want the poor to receive more preventive treatment.” she’d let out a small sigh, smiling to the man “So perhaps my friend, it isn’t me that’s thinking of the Unovan medical system, but you.”
Rosy
MC name: Rosy

After that, Clementine Nikitas would stand up and try to wriggle herself infront to ask her question.
" Okay, for the other candidate then, Netlia Ross, I have a question if I may! " she beams with nervousness after the previous heated and long ramblings, but also pride she gets to stand up and ask a question, " Netlia, will you always be wearing those Buneary ears? They are rather cute, and I can attest to liking to wear them - but you won't wear that in like... meetings with other countries leaders, right? "

(( Please read the rules in the first post, ask one question( not in the rules - but oops. ) , but avoid long essays if you're a question asker, please! ))
Vernon
MC name: MirroredPanda
Discord: MirroredPanda#6969

Netlia smiles, and opens her mouth to respond to Clem, before her eyes fly open, her red iris' as wide as dinner plates. She quickly grabs her provided bottled water, and downs the whole thing, suddenly shivering with fear. She starts sweating, and her breathing becomes uneven, as her numb hands shake before her. She places a hand to her chest, and looks at all the faces before her in the crowd, and, without warning, rushes from the podium and runs out of the building, leaving her question unanswered, while tears streamed down her face.

((Dropping out. Congrats to the winner.))
RiaLangset

Arik watched Netlia leave, and though it was clear that he took full offense to Ceacilia, he had bigger concerns. He glanced to his once friend with a glance of absolute pity, and then abandoned this entire nonsense by going after his Aunt to tend to her and take her home.
Portalgunblaze
MC name: QuartzPT

‘Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.’ While this saying wasn’t entirely accurate, it would describe the clear anger in Amelia’s Arujis as she stared at the stage pretty nicely. In the beginning of the debate, she had been happily listening on, a adorable smile on her tired face as she watched her friend Ceci. But as she continued to listen to Ceci talk about the hospital, and Toro’s medical system in general, she was starting to get pissed.

As Arik was about to walk away, Amelia grabbed him by the shirt and stared up at him, mouthing the words ‘Sit down and watch’ to him before she got up and cleared her throat.

“Not to be rude, but I still have a question I would like to ask Miss Unterberg.” Her tone was a lot more serious than usually, oh boy, this was gonna be bad. “First of all, I would like to introduce myself to the rest of the room. Doctor Amelia Aruji, Head Pediatrician of the Aurelia Hospital, someone with actual medical expierence. Now, Miss Unterberg, could you explain to us how exactly our Medical system is built without the poor in mind? We have free healthcare, free medicine, free food, everything. But you might say, we don’t do house calls, expect that is not true in the slightest. Just this week, I’ve made several house calls to check up on children whose parents weren’t able to bring them to the hospital. I would gladly visit Miss O’Conner if she called the hospital.” She sighed softly. “Also, cities like Cobalt and Ferrite do have their own medical clinics that they could head to. But if this Miss O’Conner has to work so much she can’t take a single minute off her time to visit any of these clinics or the hospital, then that is not a problem that can be fixed by changing our Medical System. Now, you said you were highly familiar with Toro’s Medical system, but I would like to ask, how exactly? You haven’t worked at the hospital, you haven’t studied Medicine, and as far as I know, though I might be wrong, you haven’t volunteered there either.”
RiaLangset

“I wish to remind all parties that if one is to have a question and have opinions or facts regarding a previous statement done by a candidate, that they are organized in a calm, non-aggressive manner without making direct statements upon the candidate's personal lives or abilities. Again, this is for all parties.” Kiori Mielke spoke in her flat monotone, her authoritative glance scanning Ceacilia, Amelia, and certainly her son.

Arik smiled to the Moderator, an amused glint in his eye and a small smile along his beard. He'd then turn to Amelia and carefully remove her hand from his shirts, and gently held it, talking quietly to her a moment, "Thank you, Amimi. I believe I'll start working on an idea that would help out the hospital in some small ways, we should have tea sometime. After I take Aunt Netlia home." He kissed her hand, and headed out to properly tend to his family member.
Foska
MC name: Foska

Caecilia speaks up afterwards, still smiling kindly at them not looking offended. "I've already explained it's many failures in regards to the poor Miss Aruji, If you would like an in depth answer please read my platform. All though it's true that Toro's medical system is monetarily free, it still costs time, which is simply not a commodity the poor can afford. The clinics close at regular hours, while many who work service jobs are not free in these hours. It is simply impractical for a working class man or woman to take a day off work to attend the clinic, or go to the hospital for more advanced treatment. Were mobile medical crews to come to their neighborhoods, I think they'd find it much more expedient to get proper checkups, raising the rates of those receiving preventative medicine greatly. As someone who works in a hospital you should know better than any that regular check ups are incredibly important in regards to catching things early, this would by all means increase the rates of regular check ups. To address your points about coming over to watch Miss O'Conner's children while she goes to Aurelia for her check up, well that's simply impractical? How would you do your job at the hospital and watch her children? It is chilling to see that Toro's medical professionals are so offended that I'd dare to point out an imperfection in the Hospital system, that they fail to realize how much my plan would actually help people. Although house calls are currently in practice, they are highly impractical when compared to a mobile medical crew. If you can see the use in employing house calls, you can see just how much more a team of trained professionals with an entire mobile clinic could do so much more. Preventative medicine is the future, and mobile medical crews are the only way to properly make sure everyone has equal access to regular check ups." She nods her head to Amelia, done with her answer.
kcband36
MC name: kcband36

A cane clicks against the floor of the court house, the rhythmic tapping reverberating in the main chamber of the building. Walking forward toward the mic in his notorious white and golden suit, Vincent LeGrand makes his appearance. His age truly shows, his weathered gray hair looks thinner than it has previously and there are small bags under his tired weary eyes. With a firm grasp of the mic, and a lean on his cane the man begins to speak. "My word Caecilia, you do speak much on the improvement for the poor and I applaud you for those efforts. Being one of the biggest philanthropists in Toro, I always wanted to give back to the region and to those who need it. That is why I have created grants for research projects, put my own money in funding this region's space program, and many other projects. Now.." He'd let out a small laugh, "Those are, indeed, projects that don't impact the people who you wish to reach the most, and you did touch upon that in the release of your platform..." Vincent would pause to pull out the papers in question. "I quote from Point II on page four, 'Much like our social programs, the state of our region has been neglected in the past, in favor of scientific endeavours, and security matters.' However, and I don't blame you as you're a bit young." He'd give a weary smile, "During my first two terms in office I was running on that platform, the betterment of Toro's infrastructure. During my time in office, Toro received an airport as well as a power plant that can give power to the region with minimal environmental damage. My other predecessors also worked on Toro's infrastructure in various ways as well. You also state that you wish to create more federal parks, which I am in support of, but have we not already achieved that? The whole forest to the south of Aurelia is a federal park, as well as a few other notable locations." Vincent would clear his throat before resuming, "So may I ask why it is you are focusing on what your predecessors have done in the past and what you're doing to improve upon them? Or is it that you're doing it purely to create jobs for the region as you state at the end of Point II?"

Return to “Regional Government Archives”