Switch to Discord?

Should we switch to Discord?

Yes, I think this is a good idea.
46%
No, I don't think this is a good idea.
54%
I do not have Discord but I would be willing to try it.
No votes
I do not have Discord and I am not willing to try it.
No votes

Total votes: 13

Skolarr
MC name: Skolarr

Switch to Discord?

Hey guys, Skol here!
I was wondering what everyone thought about possibly moving the Toro Skype chat over to discord. Now, I'm not saying that this WILL happen, but I just thought that it might be a neat idea to toss around, and see what y'all thought. Anyhow, I'll be keeping a list of Pros and cons for each up here in the OP. If have any you'd like to add or would like to voice your thoughts on this idea, feel free to do so! Thank you!

Discord

Pros:
-The ability to create multiple rooms for chats and discussions
-Voice chat (granted we already have TS for that)
-Discord bots to assist with management
-More customization options

Cons:
-The UI is pretty ugly
-Their client can use up quite a bit of memory
-The voice codec is complete and utter garbage
-Not everyone may have a discord or be willing to make one

Pros:
-Simple, easy to use
-Almost everyone has a skype
-Cleaner UI

Cons:
-Skype has ads
-A little bit harder to manage as an admin
-Can't create multiple channels for chats/discussions in the same chat
Image Keep on Necrodancin'!Image
Foska
MC name: Foska

Re: Switch to Discord?

DISCORD MASTER RACE
Rosy
MC name: Rosy

when discord is better i'd be up for it. i'm okay with a side discord chat for those that do use it though.
Misha
MC name: Mishpelled

I love Discord, but I won't even consider a proper switch until it adds one important feature: a proper chat history system. Currently with Discord, there are two chat history options: pretty much all or nothing. You can let people see the chat history, but it'll show the entire chat history. The other one is that you'll only see messages posted when you're on; and sometimes it won't even go through even if you are on and it's horribly glitchy.

This might not seem like that much of an issue to some, but if everybody could see all the chat history for a chat right as they come in that could come with a set of problems I won't go into.

Oh, and the biggest con IMO that turns me off of the entirety of Discord: you can not turn off notifications for individuals. Also, using the Voice Chat would suck since people who don't have a mic wouldn't be able to speak in it (or risk spamming up things), so I imagine we'd have to stick to TS for that.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Discord and personally prefer Discord over Skype for some things, and I'm even using it for two tabletop games ATM. Right now at least though, it is definitely missing at least two things that would stop me from considering it as a new platform for Toro's chat.

We do have a Discord chat that is completely dead for now, but yeah. Dead.
shadowslayer
MC name: hl2shadowslayer

Tried using discord with 2 communities. It's just gross overall and I've only ever seen it used as a back-up chat when their mains go down.

Return to “Idea Archives”