Gods and cigarettes

Whether its graphics, music, or writing, let the creativity flow freely and post original content here!
Macecurb
MC name: Ecurbmac

Gods and cigarettes

This is a non-canon short story set in the Toro universe.
Doug sat in his chair, smoking quietly. He'd been here for... How long now? Hours. Days. Weeks maybe. Whoever he was waiting to meet was clearly a very busy person. The sterile white of the walls was matched only by the intense, constant light coming from the ceiling fixtures. A secretary sat behind a desk, quietly clicking away at a machine that looked somewhat like a PC. A machine that Doug had never seen before, but couldn't get a good glimpse of from his side of the desk.

Moments passed. He continued smoking. His cigarette never seemed to burn down, and every attempt at counting the passing seconds was met with eventual abandonment from sheer boredom.

The secretary eventually spoke up. “Mister Smith?” Doug stood up. “He's ready for you. Just head through the door.” Doug nodded, puffing some smoke at her idly. He walked over to the door, and stepped through it.

At first, the room seemed empty, devoid even of walls, appearing merely as a white void. Soon, however, a figure appeared: Grey smoke popped into reality and coalesced into a large, quadripedal pixelmon with a large curved horn pointing backwards upon its' head.

A voice echoed through Doug's head. “Douglas Smith.” The pixelmon seemed to frown at him despite making no movement.

Doug smirked. “Yeah, that's my name. The heck do you want?”

Its' displeasure seemed to grow. “You died twice. Once normally...” Visions of a golurk throwing a man off a cliff flashed through Doug's head. “And once more long after you should have moved on from Giratina's realm.” Images of a man engulfed in flames embracing a man in a colourful costume now appeared.

“And so, we have a bit of a conundrum on our hands. Logically, you should not have been able to die the second time. And yet you did.”

Doug cocked his head to the side slightly, shrugging and smiling. “What can I say, I'm just that great.”

The pixelmon seemed to fly into a wordless rage for a moment at Doug's comment, before composing itself again. “It would do you well to remember that you were given a second chance that few others get, despite the things you did in life.”

Doug nodded, puffing smoke at his nonhuman counterpart. “So, then. Am I going to get tossed back into the hole that was the distortion world?”

“Well, no. You see, Giratina just won't take you. It takes a great deal to truly anger him, and both you and the region you came from managed it.” The figure seems to roll its' eyes ever so slightly.

“So, what, you're just going to keep me here forever?” Doug scowled and puffed smoke at the pixelmon. “You can't do that. I mean, for kibo's sake, you're supposed to be the good guy.”

“Oh?” It seemed slightly taken aback. “Is that what they say about me down there? That I'm 'the good guy'? I'll have to do something about that...” It paused for a moment, as if thinking. “Regardless. Something needs to be done with you. Nothing good, I can tell you now.”

Doug's face softened from anger into fear. “Wha... Why?”

The pixelmon's words gained an accusatory edge. “Well, why don't you tell me why you put yourself in this position? Why don't you tell me why you chose to, instead of attacking Giratina like your living peers, you chose to fight that man and die in the process?”

Doug sighed. He pulled his cigarette out of his mouth, dropped it to the ground, and crushed it under the ball of his foot. “Promise you won't tell anybody?”

The pixelmon nodded, chuckling slightly. “Go on.”

Doug sighed, taking a deep breath. “I was afraid. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to go back. To see the people I knew in life again, and then have them taken away once more only to be left in the distortion world again? I was afraid of that. That place, it stinks. Nothing to do but wallow in your own misery.”

The pixelmon nodded, and sighed slightly. It drifted off into thought once again, and the pair waited a very long while before either of them said another word.

“You'll be reincarnated. Where or when, not even I will know. But you'll never see Toro or Johto again. You'll never meet anyone who is so much as a cousin of anyone you ever knew. You'll be given another chance, not out of having earned it, but because there are no other alternatives.”

Doug nodded, looking down at the ground.

“Goodbye, Mister Smith. May you fare better next time.” A bright light whirled into existence next to Doug. He hesitated for a moment, shed a tear. But soon, he found himself walking into it. Ready to come back as a new man.

Return to “Creative Corner”