Skin Creation Guide

Misha
MC name: Mishpelled

Skin Creation Guide

Heyo! Misha here to bring y'all a small guide on skins for the server.

Obviously making skins is just a skill you'll just have to do to learn, but there are things that can help if you don't know how. This guide will also have a few links to places that can help new players create their skins using pre-made parts, a link to the skin thread for new players who need help, a link to some good skin-creating sites/program, and I can give a few tips on how you can get inspiration and ideas for outfits that would fit the server!

Programs / Online Skin-Making Sites:
If you create skins make sure to make sure you don't use any helmet / overlay layers besides the head one since those won't show up, as well as asymmetrical features! If you have any problems or have a basic skin and just need it edited we can help.
  • MCSkin3D
    - The newest version I heard might crash a lot, you can find old versions in the update logs here. I think 1.4.2.255 might be a good version.
    • I personally use this. You have to download it but it has a lot of features. If you have little experience with skins / art and just wanna use pre-made things or something, I do not recommend this.
    • Features:
      - You can edit the skin in 2D, 3D, or both at the same time!
      - Able to easily add an entire folder and switch between skins.
      - Noise Brush
      - Bucket
      - Darken / Lighten brush + Dodge/Burn brush
      - Swatches / Palette
    Skincraft
    • Features:
      - Lots of quality sorted pre-made things + nice options for them! If you're gonna mostly use pre-made parts I recommend looking through this for something you like, it has neat things.
      - Pretty neat for editing skins.
    Minecraft Armory
    • Features:
      - Premade parts from internet, kinda sorted.
      - Can't actually edit it, but if you have a skin you can upload it as a part / layer.
    Miners Need Cool Shoes
    • Features:
      - Premade from the internet. Adjust Hue, Saturation, and Brightness of parts. Unsorted.
      - Bucket
      - Rectangle Tool
    Skindex
    • Features:
      - Ability to easily made your brush lighter / darker
      - Noise brush
    Novaskin
    • Heads up, this site can be pretty laggy.
    • Features:
      - Cool poses
      - It has a database of skins that have been made and makes it easy to add and remove skins in layers.
Skin making tips:
  • What not to have on your skins:
    For this server when accepting whitelist applications we tend to not allow skins that have hoodies, headphones, or things that don't fit the time frame in any way possible such as medieval armour or fantasy outfits. Also due to the fact that this is a 1.7 server you'll need a skin fits the Steve model.
  • Not specifically for skins but a few tips based on personal experience / preferences.
    - Don't use the brighest color! They might hurt people's eyes, make it just a tad lighter or darker.

- From what I've seen, this is the normal eye style / placement. Keeping to this is generally a good idea. Also this is a personal preference really, but I do recommend adding eyelashes/eyebrows whenever possible.

- A small thing I learned, adding a touch of color instead of just grey when shading white objects might bring bit of life into it! The left and middle have a blue or red tint, and the right is just plain grey. Of course, grey might be just perfect for certain characters.

- Try not to make it too contrasting when using noise. Or just try not to do it, either way works.
Inspiration:
  • For inspiration for outfit ideas that fit the server, I recommend searching up "50s sewing patterns"! You could search up fashion, but I find sewing patterns make it a lot easier to find better + accurate oufits. 60s, 70s, vintage, dress, suit, winter, etc. instead of 50s works too! Of course you can also change it color or pattern-wise to better fit your character/skin.

If i'm being honest here, dress up games have really cute outfits sometimes.
Skin Resources:
I think that's all I have to say for now about this. If you have any more tips, cool programs / sites, resources, etc. let me know so I can add it!

Return to “Guides and Tutorials”