Fireside Chats with Premier Penn and Arbiter Unterberg

Here you can find the various laws and government documents.
stowaway8888
MC name: stowaway8888/Dayre_

Re: Fireside Chats with Premier Penn and Arbiter Unterberg

Lucas nods, before asking "What if a trainer had been arrested for abusing pixelmon in the past? How would that be handled?"
Vernon
MC name: MirroredPanda
Discord: MirroredPanda#6969

"I'm not going to require vendors of Pixelmon to conduct government level background checks on every consumer, it'd slow the process far too much. Rather, I'll offer to conduct them under the condition they have reason to believe the person requesting a Pixelmon is not well-intentioned." He sighs. "A lot of this lies in the hands of the seller to do what they feel is right. As I stated earlier, this isn't a catch-all to end-all law to stop abuse of Pixelmon acquired through sales, it's only a preventative measure, and we're putting a lot of faith in the sellers. The government is not meant to micro-manage, they're meant to regulate, which is what we're attempting to do. Regulation's won't work if the policy isn't followed."
Vernon

Netlia Bryant would raise her hand as she stands up.

"So what's the point of a law if it won't stop people from doing bad things? Isn't that what it's supposed to do?"
Foska
MC name: Foska

"It's impossible to enforce a law to it's fullest extent without exhausting our resources so thin we'd have no way to do anything else. We would have to create a system where everyone would have to be under so strict regulations that freedom and trust would be in the proverbial rear-view mirror."
Macecurb
MC name: Ecurbmac

Stanley sighs slightly at the questions so far. He steps up to the microphone once more.

"I think what people are getting at, without actually asking it outright, is... This bill seems to be a step in the right direction, for sure, although the background check aspect of it could certainly use some refinement. Ultimately, though, people seem to feel that more should be done to protect pixelmon from abuse.

So, that said: Will the two of you be introducing more legislature to achieve that goal in other ways?"
Vernon

"I agree that there are some things we need to fine tune, and they will be. We had an idea, and we discussed it a bit. We wanted to ask the public opinion before actually dictating what was legal or not, because this could potentially affect quite a few people."

He sighs a bit.

"However, this is not the first step to the protecting Pixelmon. This is merely an addition to existing laws that protect Pixelmon against abuse. Physical and mental abuse is forbidden when it comes to Pixelmon already. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The objective of this bill, as I've stated I believe twice now, is to make it more difficult for people who intend to use Pixelmon as tools, which is abuse, more difficult."
Rosy
MC name: Rosy

Marigold steps right up after her uncle, passing on a gentle smile to him before speaking,
" When we first came in here it was said, and I repeat, ' In addition to the breeding regulations, this law would make any other sale of Pixelmon under any circumstances illegal. Auctions, public, or private sales would be illegal if they involve Pixelmon.' I think it is still wrong though." she starts off " Putting a price on a Pixelmon under any reason makes them a product. You may think that auctioning them off is a greater evil because it objectifies them more and is less moral, but infact, you'll still be trading currency, and it'll still be business. Actually, I'd say that auctions are more beneficial for Pixelmon then selling it at a set price... let me explain." she takes a moment to catch her breath before going on,
" Lets say that a person saw a Pixelmon be sold for hundreds of thousands of pix... it's happened before, no? Infact even certain pixelmon from Melinda's could cost quite a lot if you order from her. Well they put the set price up at a high number to match their expectations. Time passes and the pixelmon is not sold. They could lower the price but they'd still be waiting. At an auction on the other hand as soon as it's up, it'd be sold at any price. Now you may argue that ' If they can't afford it, then they do not deserve it! ' but that is wrong, as that having more money does not make you a better trainer. Many time I've seen such Pixelmon be sold for under our favorite breeder's prices... "
" If you outlaw auctions, you must outlaw the rest if it's for the reasons you've stated.
" she'll remain standing, ready to reply to their response.
Vernon

"You're right. The sale of Pixelmon is, in fact, making them a product. I was hoping, to allow a market to be maintained, to classify breeding as a "service" but if the people seem to agree that paying for Pixelmon to be bred is making Pixelmon a product, we can easily make any form of selling Pixelmon illegal. How about this. I'll hold a poll, and anyone who's legal to vote can vote on this poll. There will be three options: Ban any form of sale of Pixelmon, breeding, auctions, and the like, pass the law we have planned, once we finish writing it, and accommodating for new information, or leave it alone, and allow Pixelmon to be objectified and sold freely. I'll let the people decide. Until that's decided, I'm going to call this conference to an end."

((I'll make a google poll and a separate post in a little bit. Vote as your character would ICly.))
Rosy
MC name: Rosy

Marigold just a bit stunned, did he just end it there? She dumps out the prepared debate from her mind. The woman looked back up to the front, giving them a questioning look, " Excuse me? A-As high of a power you are, I don't believe that is fair to... call an end on such sudden notice and let the people be misinformed about this law you want us to vote on WHILE, at the same time being derogatory to one of the choices! If it were not clear by our time here, we all clearly had questions - and I have no doubt some others still have more? These feel like extreme options, and surely we can work out something better, or in the very least be all a little more knowledgeable.
The law isn't all bad I mean, but why not make people take logs of their sales if trouble arises, or just make it mandatory that the auctioneer follow through the same steps as a breeder would to ensure they're going to a good home?
"
Vernon

"So far, the majority of the statements presented to me about this has been why this is an unfair thing to do, or why it's wrong. I'd rather see the opinions of the people, and go and decide what they'd like. They seem more than happy to point out flaws. Things you brought up, regulations, rules, all should have been presented as alternatives, rather than pointing out only flaws in the plan. If people want to point out flaws without offering solutions, I'll offer the only three solutions I can think of. If the law gets voted for, I'll host another discussion geared more towards the creation of solutions to the flawed plan, rather than reasons to why it is flawed."

Return to “Regional Government Archives”