Toro Premier Debates - Round Five

Here you can find the various laws and government documents.
Macecurb
MC name: Ecurbmac

Re: Toro Premier Debates - Round Five

Stanley nods slightly to Edgar, indicating that he'll go first.

"That is a very good question, Miss Knighton."

He sighs slightly, thinking visibly.

"In times of difficulty. In times of great stress in my life, I have had a tendency to take matters into my own hands, even if, in some cases, things would be better off left to others. On some base level, I think, I feel the need to make sure with my own eyes and hands that things are done properly. I micromanage. If I sometimes appear nosy or pushy, this is often why."

He raises his finger for a moment as he takes a sip of water. Lot of talking tonight, thirsty work.

"This was a problem in my term as Foreign Minister, I would try to orchestrate every aspect of anything that I was involved in. That was not my place, and it caused a great deal of frustration. It was less of a problem during my time working under Doc, but still, I was young, and at the time the RTMP was not the shining example of police work that they are today.

But I've learned, Miss Knighton. Over my years in Toro I've learned to realize that I can't control everything. That I can't do everything myself. That I have to do my job, and that I have to allow others to do theirs. I fully intend to bring these lessons that I have learned over my life with me into the office of Premier."

He smiles slightly at Sam, and gives her a nod.

"Thank you for your question."
Vernon
MC name: MirroredPanda
Discord: MirroredPanda#6969

Edgar takes a deep breath, looking out to the crowd, rather than specifically at Sam.

"I have, for many years, ran around in a mask. I imagine I will have scorn and ridicule for that, yet, I am no longer the child who ran around, who was protected by his stronger friends, and hid behind a mask to protect himself from his fears. I am strong without it. I've matured, and I will be utterly transparent with you. No matter what comes my way, I intend to keep a level head, and do what is right for the region, not for myself, or for another individual. I am not a politician, I’m a citizen. I can see things the way you can. I can help fix what issues we may face. I want to prevent issues that may arise. I understand what I’m doing, even if this is my first time running, and even if I’m young. The candidate with experience doesn’t equate to the candidate that is the right choice. Look at Sam Knighton, and Vincent LeGrand. Neither one were politicians, but they were two of the best Premiers we’ve ever had.

My point is that my weaknesses would be lack of experience, however I’m not without help. Mrs. Knighton, you’ve informed me that if I needed help, I can ask you for it. I’ve yet to ask Mr. LeGrand, but I’m more than positive he will be willing to help me, should I request it. I'm also positive the citizens of Toro will not be afraid to tell me when and if things need to be corrected, and if I'm well aware, I'll have the Town Leaders to help me as well.

My only other weakness I can think of is that I’m very passionate about things. Perhaps overly so. It’s quite possible I may say something I’ll regret, because I get upset. However, this is a rare occurrence. I generally know when and when not to speak. It’s a flaw I’m sure most of us have, and I’ll grow out of it.”

Edgar takes a deep breath as he finishes and smiles, looking to Sam.

"That was a great question Mrs. Knighton. I'm glad you asked it, I was thinking about addressing it at the end of the debate. It's been weighing on my mind for some time now."
stowaway8888
MC name: stowaway8888/Dayre_

Once the candidates finished and questions were being taken again, Shadow would step up. "Hello, my names Shadow. Today I gotta ask something that's been on my mind for a bit. Now, you and Mr. Kiesin have said that pixelmon would be treated with the same respect as humans. Some who are considered family to us. And referring back to Ms. LeGrand's question, you wouldn't use them for slave labor. However, I feel that we are really just sometimes acting as willing servants who are stuck in our balls. Now don't get me wrong, humans are nice to us. Feed us, care for us. Some are even working to make pixelballs more comfortable for us, shoutout to my buddy Lucas."

Lucas starts to shrink in his seat, by pure embarrassment and shyness going through him as he gave a nervous smile.

"But my question is. Humans say that pixelmon are their partners. Yet I feel a lot of us are only used for battling and other servant purposes. I've been lucky enough to have a trainer and friend who makes me do neither, but I see that others of our kind are being used for that same purpose. We are intelligent enough to work alongside humans. For example, lots of Alakazams have the intelligence of award winning scientists, yet we use them mainly for battling or teleportation. My question is...

What is your opinion of, and would you allow, pixelmon to work alongside the humans in government if some of us so choose?"
Vernon

Edgar looks at Shadow, and weighs the question on his mind before speaking.

"Well...that's an interesting question. It's quite clear that many Pixelmon display levels of sentience that matches that of a human. In some cases, Pixelmon are more intelligent than humans. My answer is yes. If a Pixelmon was capable of handling a government position, and is elected through the standard process, there is no reason why a Pixelmon cannot hold a government office. However, that being said, it's not my place to say if the people will elect, or want, a government official that is a Pixelmon. I personally have no issue with it."
Macecurb

Stanley thinks hard for a moment, trying to figure out what his opinion on this even is.

"I'm inclined to agree with my opponent on this matter. Pixelmon vary considerably in terms of intelligence. Some of them are simple, almost mindless creatures. Others are as intelligent, if not moreso, than some humans. My brother, Torchic, actually, is on this level, if not for his inability to speak Unovan, he would seem like any other human in a blind conversation.

So yes. If a pixelmon were to run for political office, I would not try to block it. It is up to the people of Toro to decide."
Portalgunblaze
MC name: QuartzPT

Jade stood up, smiling warmly as she went to ask her question.
" I have a question for both candidates. What is your opinion on Pixelmon experimentation? Such as Docter Q has done with his Angels, but also other forms, like trying to combine Pixelmon and technology? "
Macecurb

"As I have alluded to previously in this debate, I am opposed to the sort of experimentation that you refer to. I personally believe it to be a form of pixelmon abuse, something that, as mentioned before, I am entirely opposed to.

((Hey guys, quick note here. Vernon and I have agreed to end the debate after this question, so we'll be posting our closing statements shortly after Edgar's answer to this question is posted.

Thanks for all the great questions!))
Vernon

(As Mace said, we feel like this is all but wrapped up, so we're gonna let this be the last question. Good questions, everyone.)

Edgar waits for Stanley to finish, and smiles.

"As my opponent said, I too am fully against augmenting Pixelmon or humans for the purpose of good or evil. The mixing of organic beings, or organic beings with inorganic material, is not okay unless it's a prosthetic limb, or a replacement for a lost function, and the replacement is necessary. With these exceptions in place, I'd like to remind people that it would be abuse to cut off a Pixelmon's limb in order to replace it with one you may think is cooler, and therefore, unnecessarily cruel."
Vernon

Final Remarks: Edgar Penn
Edgar gives a soft smile and looks around, placing his hands together on his podium, in an almost prayer-like manner before speaking.

"I have very few remarks past what I’ve said today already. I know you may not trust someone who ran around in a mask for over 14 years fighting crime, however, I trusted you with my identity. If we can’t trust each other, who can we trust? I know some of you may not think I’m old enough to run for office, or to run our country. However, I ask you to take a look at Foreign Minister Tide Bryant. He’s only a year older than me. Look at my opponent even. He ran for Foreign Minister at the age of 21, five years younger than I am now. My age should not be a determining factor of your vote. Lastly, I’d like to say thank you Toro, for coming out tonight to listen to us drone on, thank you Jimmy, for being a good person, and congrats on the engagement to mom,"

Edgar turns to Stanley, giving him a smile,

“and thank you, Mr. Stanley Kiesin, for being a good opponent. I wish you luck in the elections. I may not see eye to eye with you, but you’re a good opponent through and through.”

Edgar turns back to the crowd.

“Once again, thank you Toro for coming out. I hope the next time I address you as a whole, it will be as your Premier. Thank you. Stay golden, Toro.”
Last edited by Vernon on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macecurb

Final Remarks: Stanley Kiesin
Stanley clears his throat slightly, nodding at Edgar's final remarks. He turns to the crowd, smiling slightly.

“Ladies and gentlemen of Toro, the choice you are about to make has been laid out for you. Your choice for the next premier will shape the future of this great nation through their choices over the next four years. I also believe, ladies and gentlemen, that many of you already know who you’ll be voting for.

You’ve heard what I’ve said in this debate. You’ve heard what my opponent has said. He claims that experience is not the be-all and end-all. But what experience does bring, ladies and gentlemen, is knowledge and ability. The ability to create an extensive, unified plan to grow this nation into the future. The ability to look back at a great man, my own personal friend, Doc Holiday, and admit to the world that he was not infallible. The ability to organize and lead people so as to accomplish more than we could do individually. The ability to be your Premier.

Look at the platforms, ladies and gentlemen. On my side, I’ve got an extensive plan to get jobs for young Torans, and help them support their families. I’ve got a plan to build on this nation’s infrastructure, building an airport, improved city roads, and a prison for better rehabilitation procedures. Immigration programs and job growth, to lay the foundations to make this country grow and take advantage of the great future that stands before us.

My honourable opponent calls me a politician. I am running for premier, yes. It would be silly for me not to put on my politician’s hat, as I stand up here and tell you why you should vote for me. He says I was too young to run for Foreign Minister. To tell the truth? I was, at the time. But nobody else would, and it wouldn’t have been fair to the people of Toro to allow an actual child to take that seat. I took four years of my time, well before I was ever ready, and I put myself into service for you in the only way I saw how.

The fact of the matter is that Toro has so few capable, experienced individuals willing to run for office. We so often simply make do with the politicians that present themselves to us. But today, Toro, we do not have to make do. We do not have to settle.

I’d like to thank Mister Johnson for his wonderful moderation tonight, and I’d like to thank my honourable opponent, Mister Penn. I’d like to congratulate our next arbiter, Mister Markus Unterberg, and thank him for his endorsement. Lastly, I’d like to thank my beautiful wife and daughter, who drive me to do all that I can. Thank you for listening, Toro.”

Return to “Regional Government Archives”